Wednesday, July 8, 2020

The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell


Rating - 4 Stars


Quick take review

My first experience reading David Mitchell and it definitely won’t be my last. 
This book....is very hard to explain to anyone who hasn’t read it. And maybe even to those of us who HAVE read it. It’s a 600+ page mash up of various genres - magical realism, mystery, even a bit of YA angst thrown in for good measure. The book is broken down into six different “sections” which almost read like 6 Completely different short stories - If it weren’t for the fact that DM has an amazing ability to link seemingly random tales together in a (somewhat) neat and tidy bow in the end. 
The Bone Clocks, which spans from 1984 to 2043, is unlike anything I’ve read before, which is part of the reason why I couldn’t put it down....even when I was feeling slightly overwhelmed by the info dump, as well as confused by what exactly was going on. 
I feel like going into this book as blind as possible is the way to go...discovering each character’s story and their link to each other is the fun part about reading this book. Is it perfect? No. The second section (about Hugo Lamb) was challenging to get through, and the fifth section (the longest and most magical realism info heavy) went on far too long. But over all, this was a unique, entertaining and very trippy ride. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

He Started It - Samantha Downing

5 Stars This book....was out and out banana pants crazy. In the best possible way!  I read and enjoyed Downing’s My Lovely Wife earlier...